Date Available: June 5, 2023
Date Closed: Open Until Filled
Position Title: Director of Laboratory Services
Position Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Salary based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include health insurance, life insurance, annual leave, sick leave, holiday pay, retirement, and apparel programs. Must possess a valid class “C” driver’s license and pre-employment drug screen mandatory. ANRA is an equal opportunity employer.
ANRA is seeking a motivated individual to join our team in the role of Laboratory Services Director. This position manages the Authority’s Environmental Laboratory and reports to the Deputy General Manager. The Authority’s Environmental Laboratory performs analyses for surface water, drinking water, and wastewater samples for the Authority’s internal utilities and programs such as environmental water quality monitoring, as well as local municipalities, organizations and the general public, for drinking water and wastewater compliance testing.
Ideal candidates will exhibit outstanding organizational and communication skills, attention to detail and correctness, and strive for excellence and ongoing improvement.
- Maintain the Environmental Laboratory’s accreditation in accordance with the TNI Standard and all applicable TCEQ rules and regulations.
- Update, revise, and maintain the Environmental Laboratory’s Quality Assurance Manual, Standard Operating Procedures, and other quality documents.
- Perform internal audits of the Environmental Laboratory, including both technical and quality systems audits.
- Prepare audit reports for internal and external audits.
- Perform and document corrective action, including follow-up monitoring to gauge the effectiveness of the corrective action.
- Maintain training records for all Environmental Laboratory staff, including Demonstrations of Capability.
- Schedule and successfully complete semi-annual proficiency testing for all analytes in ANRA’s Scope of Accreditation.
- Schedule and document all required Quality Assurance/Quality Control functions in the Environmental Laboratory, such as thermometer calibrations, meter calibrations, equipment maintenance, etc.
- Review laboratory analysis and quality assurance/quality control reports.
- Perform analytical testing as necessary.
- Assist in business development for the laboratory.
- MUST meet the following requirements for a Technical Manager of an accredited environmental laboratory as defined by the TNI Standard (EL V1 2009, 184.108.40.206).
Requirements for a Technical Manager for an accredited environmental laboratory limited to inorganic chemical analysis (other than metals analysis) and microbiological analysis (limited to fecal coliform, total coliform, E. coli, and standard plate count):
- Minimum of an associate’s degree in the chemical, physical or environmental sciences, or two (2) years of equivalent and successful college education. A bachelor’s degree is preferred;
- Minimum of sixteen (16) college semester credit hours in chemistry;
- Minimum of four (4) college semester credit hours in microbiology;
- At least two (2) years of documentable experience performing inorganic chemical analyses.
- At least one (1) year of experience performing microbiological analyses.
- Bachelor’s in environmental science, biology, chemistry or other relevant field and/or at least 2 years working in a related laboratory management setting
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, observation skills, and evaluative skills
- Warm enthusiastic demeanor, outgoing personality, able to interact with people of all ages
- Prior experience writing technical and/or research findings and reports
- Capability to plan/coordinate the various aspects of analytical activities
- Ability to manage projects, partnerships and professional relationships
- An ability to manage multiple projects and tasks concurrently, accomplishing long term goals by achieving short term strategies and objectives
- Ability to work closely with other coworkers, collaborate with Quality Manager and other staff members to improve analytical protocols and communicate technical concepts to the general public
- Adaptable and willing to take on other job assignments
- Willingness to receive additional training to enhance knowledge and skills
Application forms are available at anra.org and can be submitted to email@example.com